Never Miss a Special Permit Application Deadline Again!
Return Home

Montana Sandhill Crane

Listed below are 2012 dates. 2013 dates should be close to the same. This site will be updated with 2013 dates once they are released, which will be during the first few months of 2013. Montana requires the purchase of Conservation License and a MT Migratory Bird License in order to hunt Cranes in Montana. All migratory bird hunters in Montana, as well as in all other states, are required to take part in a National Harvest Survey Program. Sandhill Crane permits are available over-the-counter of by special drawing. Applications must be submitted by Sept 6th. Whooping Cranes are protected by law. It is illegal to take or attempt to take this bird. If a whooping crane is sighted, please call 406-444-2612.

Migratory birds may be taken only by bow or shotgun not larger than ten guage incapable of holding more than three shells and fired from the shoulder. Harvested birds must retain the fully feathered head at all times during transport.

There are two Flyways with different regulations, the Pacific Flyway (Western Montana), and the Central Flyway (Eastern Montana). Applications for the special permit drawings for each of these flyways is due July 26th. You may also purchase over-the-counter permits to hunt mid-continent Sandhill Cranes in the Central Flyway. You should review the fwp migratory bird regulations and the fwp webless migratory bird regulations to determine where you would like to hunt, if you need a special permit, and prior to entering the field to ensure compliance to all regulations. Webless Migratory Bird Regulations are updated by FWP in mid-August each year.

Sandhill Crane
Sign In
Learn More
Contact Us